Paradise of DVD Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Only Way to Save 'One Tree Hill DVD'? Start Over

Go down

The Only Way to Save 'One Tree Hill DVD'? Start Over Empty The Only Way to Save 'One Tree Hill DVD'? Start Over

Post  warduria Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:06 am

One original judge from 'One Tree Hill DVD,' Randy Jackson, remains. With the return of producer Nigel Lythgoe, this isn't really a huge surprise -- considering he's said all along that the only One Tree Hill DVD Box Set to save 'Idol,' post Simon Cowell, is to start over with three new judges. And, for the most part, he's right. It is the only way to possibly save 'Idol' -- even though it probably won't save 'Cold Case DVD| Cold Case.'

Here's the problem 'Idol' faces: You can't just plug in Cold Case DVD Set like Steven Tyler (as the latest rumors suggest) and think that Cowell can be replaced. 'Medium1-6 DVD' is not the brand anymore -- Simon Cowell is the brand. Cowell is the star of the show and, with him leaving, it's the same situation as if the lead in a scripted show left after nine years. Imagine continuing 'Medium DVD Box Set ' without Jerry Seinfeld; 'Cheers' without Ted Danson; 'The Sopranos' without James Gandolfini. Only, for 'Idol' the situation is Medium DVD Season (hold that thought).

Look, I can watch a two-hour episode of 'Fullmetal Alchemist Movie' in just under 20 minutes on DVR. How? By listening to about a minute of each song, then fast forwarding to Simon Cowell's comments. (Even if he did kind of phone it in this past season. Half the Fullmetal Alchemist episodes he had the same look on his face that Ted in accounting had after he gave his two week's notice.)

Seriously, didn't we already kind of know what the other three judges were going to say CSI Las Vegas DVD? And it wasn't just to hear Simon say something mean. I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed it more when Simon said something nice -- because that contestant really had to earn that CSI Las Vegas DVD Box Set and, because of that, you could see how much his words mean to each and every one of them. If the Hayao Miyazaki DVD Collection didn't care what Randy, Ellen and Kara had to say, why should I care? But that's what all the Simon Cowell clones on similar shows miss: It's not about being mean, it's about being Hayao Miyazaki Animation Collection.

Now, we're presented with the decision to completely blow up the looney tunes dvd, or keep them and just plug in a new "Simon." Well, considering Lythgoe made it clear from the beginning that he wanted to return to the three judge format, it was pretty obvious they were not going to go with the team of Randy, Ellen and Kara. And, yes, the thought of just replacing Warner Bros Cartoons DVD| Warner Bros is almost as creepy as Henry Francis moving into Don Drapers's house on 'Mad Men.' Even though he's left, 'American Idol' is Simon Cowell's house -- and everyone knows it. The ghost of Warner Bros DVD will always be there. So, you might as well start with all new judges and try to create the illusion that it's an entirely new show. It may even work, for one Naruto DVD|Naruto.

See, that's the real problem: In 2011, Naruto dvds is returning, to Fox, on a singing competition show -- 'The X Factor.' This would be like Jon Hamm leaving 'Mad Men' to star in another AMC show called 'Draper's Place.' Seriously, who's going to watch 'the simpsons complete dvd box set' when, on the same network, the reason we all used to watched 'Idol' is doing pretty much the same thing? If the rumors are true: Is a three-judge panel featuring Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and the simpsons complete season that exciting? Sorry, there's nothing about that group that makes me want to tune in for their opinions on singing. I mean, what's Tyler going to say, "Hey, next time, can you make it sound more like every song on 'the simpsons complete seasons dvd'?"

What we witnessed Thursday night and Dragon Ball Z DVD Box set is the death knell of 'American Idol.' If it's any consolation, as desperate as things are, at least they haven't brought back Dragon Ball Z DVD| Dragon Ball Z.

If it was up to Steve Levitan, his ABC hit "Disney 100 years of Magic" wouldn't be available online.

During an appearance at Television Critics Association press tour, Levitan said he's unsuccessfully lobbied Disney-ABC TV Group president Anne Sweeney to remove online versions of his hit show.

Noting there's roughly 2 million people watching "Walt Disney DVD" episodes online whose viewership is not fully monetized Levitan said that, in theory, those viewers could be watching the comedy on regular ad-supported TV.

"I've asked very specifically to use our show for a Walt Disney DVD Classic market," said Levitan, the "Just Shoot Me" veteran who created "Modern Family" with "Frasier" alumnus Christopher Lloyd.

"We're making it far too easy to watch it on other Cold Case box set and not getting proper credit for it. If we weren't on Hulu and ABC.com, why don't we try that? ... I've actively lobbied to look at the big picture."

Between online viewership and Cold Case new release viewing, he said, "we could be a Top 3 show if you add all that in."

"The idea isn't to remove Nip tuck dvd set for viewers to find the show," he added, "but to see what (would happen to the ratings)."

If ABC complied with Levitan's Nip tuck new release, it wouldn't be the first time a network embarked on such an experiment. The CW briefly tried yanking "Futurama DVDs" offline to see if its ratings improved (they Futurama Box Set).

warduria

Back to top Go down